THE COUNCIL IS THE EXECUTIVE ORGAN OF GAISF AND CARRIES OUT THE POLICIES ESTABLISHED BY THE MEMBERS.
The Council consists of nine people:
- 1 President, elected by the General Assembly
- 3 members designated by the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF)
- 2 member designated by the Association of International Olympic Winter Sports Federations (AIOWF)
- 2 members designated by the Association of IOC Recognised International Sports Federations (ARISF)
- 1 member designated by the Alliance of Independent Recognised Members of Sport (AIMS)
- 1 member designated by the Associate Members that do not belong to any of the above groups.
Each organisation/group applies its own procedure to designate its representatives.
The Council is elected every four years.